This was a easy cupcake recipe chock full of apples and fall spices. I made them miniature form to serve at a faculty meeting. I find that people cannot resist a cupcake in miniature form. And following Halloween and eating way too much candy, there is a less guilt that follows. The recipe made for me about 3 dozen mini cupcakes. If I had to guess, it would make about a dozen cupcakes, give or take a few. But that is only a guess, folks! If you make them in regular form let me know!
Apple Spice Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Buttercream Frosting
Print this recipe!
Cupcake ingredients: (makes 10-12 regular-sized cupcakes, 36 mini cupcakes)
4 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 C granulated sugar
1/2 C applesauce
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 C all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
Pinch of ground cloves2 apples, chopped
2 1/2 sticks butter, softened
2 1/2 C powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
4 tablespoons caramel sauce
2 Tbsp heavy cream
pinch of salt
2. In a large bowl or stand mixer, mix together sugars, applesauce and vegetable oil. Mix in eggs and vanilla, followed by remaining ingredients.
3. Mix just into all ingredients are combined. Use a spoon or cookie scoop to divide mixture among prepared liners.
4. Bake for 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted only has a few moist crumbs. Cool on a wire rack.
5. Prepare buttercream in a medium bowl or stand mixer. Cream butter and powdered sugar together. Mixture may become slightly crumbly, that's okay. Add vanilla, caramel syrup and heavy cream. Beat until smooth and spreadable consistency. Add additional heavy cream if needed.
6. When cupcakes have cooled completely. Use a knife or cupcake corer to remove the center of the cupcake. Fill with apple pie filling, leaving a 1/2-inch space at the top. Slice off the dome of the cored piece of cupcake, place over the apple pie filling.
7. Pipe or frost cupcakes as desired. Drizzle with additional caramel syrup. Serve immediately or store in a covered container.