Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes

Can I admit something? Ok..good. Summer has started and instead of being full of energy and getting lots done I have been...exhausted. Am I that programmed that without a set schedule everyday, alarm clock buzzing in my ear, and a mile-long to do list I am eh? Blah? *Sigh*  Perhaps I need some protein in my diet. Perhaps I need some sugar. Perhaps I need...a cupcake. I know!  A chocolate cupcake with peanut butter frosting!


Ok, what an argument to have a cupcake in your life huh? Did it work for you too? I hope so. These cupcakes were described as "the best thing I have made thus far" by my Culinary Companion. For a person who does NOT (I know..seriously how can that be?!?) eat sweets that is a BIG statement. I have to agree though, these cupcakes were packing a peanutty punch. Rich. Decadent. Satisfied after one, but kept help thinking of having another one. 


The chocolate cupcake base was the Hershey's Chocolate Cake recipe. The boiling water in this recipe I think is the trick. Yes, don't worry, the batter is runny but results in a fabulously moist cupcake. Nothing is worse than a chocolate cupcake that is dry. Yech. The frosting had me skeptical at first. There was quite a bit of powdered sugar in the recipe. I ended up cutting back on it, and adding a touch more milk. To me, it was just a matter of taste. Add. Mix. Taste some more. Repeat until Peanut Butter Frosting Nirvana is reached. Lick beaters when no one is looking. Oh come on, you know you do it too.


So if your summer is starting on a bit of a low point and is need of a pick me up I suggest these. That July 4th picnic coming up? These will definitely be a hit, I promise. Ok sure they aren't red, white, and blue, but chocolate and peanut butter? An American Classic! You can't go wrong, and maybe after you have one of these your summer will be kicked into high gear.


HERSHEY'S "PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" Chocolate Cake

Ingredients

  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup boiling water

Directions
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Prepare muffin tins with cupcake liners.
2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin).
Pour batter into prepared pans.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. 

Peanut Butter Frosting
Adapted from Cookies and Cups

1/2 cup butter, room temp (1 stick)
1 cup creamy peanut butter
5 cups sifted powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk (you can add more if your prefer a creamier frosting)

1. Combine butter and peanut butter on medium speed until combined.
2. Slowly add powdered sugar until combined.
3. Add milk until desired consistency is reached.
4. Pipe frosting on cooled cupcakes and garnish with miniature peanut butter cups (optional, but totally worth it)

No comments:

Post a Comment