Sunday, June 24, 2012

Seven Layer Bars



It has been a week or so since I have posted anything. School ended. Summer started. The sun blazed on. In the simplicity and heat of summer I wanted a simple and easy dessert. Seven layers. Ladies, if you want a dessert to impress, and not a lot of fuss start here. The ooey gooeyness presented in this bar recipe, will let anyone forgive you for really not stretching your baking muscles here too much. This is a light day at the gym. This is a lazy Sunday, keep the pajamas on, I don't feel like doing much kind of dessert. And boy, oh boy is it much appreciated.  I made these for a Pampered Chef party I hosted and unfortunately for my waistline I made too many to be eaten for the small group of us and now I have a large plate of them left behind. My tummy appreciates. My thighs, not so much.

There are seven easy layers to put together. Let me break it down for you.

1. Crush a package of graham crackers (there are 9 in one package- that is how many you need. How easy is that?)
2. Add a stick of melted butter. Mix and press into the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch pan.
3. Then (are you ready for this?)..sprinkle on your walnuts, your three different kinds of chips, and coconut (that has been toasted in the oven prior for 4 minutes..that is as culinary as we get here folks).
4. Pour a can of sweetened condensed milk over.
5. Done. Bake. Enjoy.

A few of my baking challenged friends came by for the P.C. party, and I convinced them this is a recipe they need to try. You really can't get any easier. I am now on though to thinking how can I change this gooey concoction. Add nutella? Hmm. Pecans? Salted caramel. Oh boy...Possibilities. Are. Endless.

Oh all these free things I get to purchase through Pampered Chef? Yea, expect me to be making delicious things with all of those gadgets soon. Oh boy, I can't wait to use those!

Seven Layer Bars
15-24 bars (depending on how big you like your bars!)


1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
9 graham crackers (5 ounces), crushed
1 cup finely chopped walnuts
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
½ cup white chocolate chips
½ cup butterscotch chips
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1. Adjust an oven rack to the lower-middle position and preheat to 350°F. Spray a 9×13-inch baking pan with non-stick spray. Line the pan with two overlapping pieces of foil or parchment paper, leaving overhang to act as handles for lifting the bars out of the pan. Spray with non-stick spray.
2. Spread the coconut on a baking sheet and bake until the outer flakes just begin to brown, about 4 minutes. (Keep a close eye on it – coconut can go from slightly browned to burnt in a matter of seconds.) Set aside.
3. Melt the butter and combine with graham cracker crumbs in a small bowl. Toss with your fingers until the butter is evenly distributed. Press the crumbs evenly onto the bottom of the prepared pan.
4. In order, sprinkle the walnuts, chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, and coconut over the graham crumbs. Pour the condensed milk evenly over the entire dish.
5. Bake until the top is golden brown, about 25 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack to room temperature, about 2 hours.
6. Remove the bars fromthe pan using the foil or parchment handles and transfer to a cutting board. Using a sharp knife or bench cutter, cut into 2 by 3-inch bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment