Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Orange Chocolate Chip Scones

I'm calling these my mental health scones, because that's when I made them. Today during my mental health day off. Shhh..don't tell. The thing is baking is good for my mental health! I'm sure you can agree with me. There is nothing more satisfying then cutting cold butter into well sifted flour. Or kneading bread dough with your bare hands. Or rolling a fragile pie crust. *Sigh*. I could go on and on. There is nothing more healing than baking. At least for me anyways.

I also figured these scones have some good dark chocolate and orange zest in them. So it's kinda healthy in that regards right? Ok maybe not really..but that is what I told myself! These are good for my mental health AND my immune system.

These scones also used up some of the leftover buttermilk I had in my fridge. I have made many scones in the past and will again. I love the simplicity and the one-bowl method with scones. So simple. So satisfying. So versatile. I think I need to take more mental health days....and make more scones.

I am just starting to get back into blogging and any helpful hints on how to improve my pictures- please do not hesitate to let me know! I am all ears :-)

Orange and Chocolate Chip Scones
Adapted from Joy the Baker
Please note:
*This recipe made for me 8 small scones.  I patted the dough into a rectangle. Cut it into four squares then into 8 small triangle shaped scones. I will definitely double this recipe the next time I make it!

*I added twice the original amount of buttermilk. Adjust as you see fit. Scones can be finicky based on the weather. You may find you need a little more or little less of the buttermilk. Such is life.

*I also think these would not be harmed by the addition of walnuts. Or an orange icing. I was just feeling lazy today and didn't put an icing on them. Experiment and let me know!



1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
zest of 1 orange
2 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
1 large egg yolk
1/2 cold buttermilk
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Place rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, sift together flour, sugar, orange zest, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.  I use my fingers to rub the butter and dry ingredients together.    3.In another bowl, combine egg yolk and buttermilk and beat lightly with a fork.  Add to flour mixture all at once, stirring enough to make a soft dough.  Fold in the chocolate chips.
Turn out onto a floured board and knead about 15 times. (I simply get folding it together in the bowl to avoid another mess to clean up. Eventually the dough came together for me).  Roll or pat out into a 1-inch thickness.  Cut into 8 small triangles.     Place on prepared baking sheet and bake at 425 degrees F for 12-15 minutes.  (note: at 12 minutes mine were done. I think I could have taken them out a minute or two earlier. Set it to ten minutes then watch carefully!)

No comments:

Post a Comment