Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins

Well ok so strawberries may not be in season, but chocolate always is right? Don't you love how I justify any baking situation. These muffins were originally intended to be healthier, but I only had the more unhealthy options to go with. Oh well...that is why I go to the gym. It is all about balance folks.

The original recipe I found over at Sally's Baking Addiction. I have been on her site before and with this last trip have found a few more recipes (a few being a very gross understimation) of recipes I need to try. Like those cake batter chocolate chip cookies. I mean..hello. How could that possibly go wrong?

These muffins were a big hit with the co-workers as always. How do you cheer up a bunch of teachers after coming back after a three day weekend? Feed them. Feed them sweets.

Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins
makes 10 muffins
Print this recipe!

Please note: I changed the recipe slightly by adding in some buttermilk. I found that when I swapped out the applesauce from the original recipe and added vegetable oil the consistency of the batter seemed off to me. I didn't want to throw in the proverbial towel, so I threw in some buttermilk. 
** My suggestion is that if you follow my recipe, be proactive and add your buttermilk in with your wet ingredients and not use my reactive approach trying to desperately mix it in after the "wet" and "dry" came together. I was reading Sally's great post on making muffins and knowing full well if she watched me she would be yelling at me, "you're mixing it too much!" I mixed, cursed a little, and said a little prayer afterwards.
  • 1 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
  • 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 egg white, beaten
  • 6-7 Tablespoons cold buttermilk 
  • 2/3 cup diced strawberries
  • 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray 10 muffin tins with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
In a large bowl, gently toss the flour, baking soda, and cinnamon. Set aside. In a separate bowl, mix the brown sugar, granulated sugar, and oil until together until no brown sugar lumps remain – a fork works well to break up the brown sugar here.  Combine the egg white and buttermilk. Whisk together.  Add the beaten egg white and buttermilk mixture until fully incorporated.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry until *just* combined – do not overmix.  Fold in the strawberries and chocolate chips.
Divide the batter evenly between 10 muffin tins.  Bake for 15-20 minutes.  Muffins will be lightly golden in color and a toothpick inserted in the middle should come out clean.
 Allow muffins to cool and enjoy!
Muffins stay fresh in an airtight container at room temperature for 7 days.  Muffins can be frozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment