Thursday, March 7, 2013

d.i.y. homemade yellow cake mix

In an attempt to become a little "greener" and healthier, I decided to post for you this homemade yellow cake mix. I don't know about you but cake batter desserts are the new black. There are so many "cake batter" recipes out there right now calling for a box of yellow cake mix. Have you ever taken the time to look at what is in that yellow cake mix? Don't get me wrong, I grew up on boxed cake mix. My mother could roast a mean chicken, but when it came to cakes and things, Betty Crocker reigned. She tells the story that when she was married her mother in law taught her what it meant to "bake from scratch". She said she had no idea a cake didn't come out of a box.


Since my mother's "betty crocker" days I have come to never rely on a boxed cake mix. I personally like the hassle of getting all the ingredients out and knowing that "I made that". I personally believe that it is worth it. Not only does it taste better, but you know what is in it. No preservatives here folks!





The thing is as much as I am a baking purist, I am also a realist. I completely understand that sometimes you just don't have time to bake from scratch. That is where this do it yourself cake mix will save your day. You can make this mix ahead of time and store it in your freezer. So when you need a last minute dessert or you just have a craving for these you can just pull out this mix from the freezer.


I made this mix in my 6-cup food processor. It filled it almost the brim so be careful! It made about 5 cups of mix. When I made my cake batter blondies I used about 3 1/2 cups of mix to make these. I can't wait to try out all of these cake batter recipes out there. Any suggestions on what to make next with my mix?

d.i.y. yellow cake mix
I got it from Brown Eyed Baker, who got it from Mel's Kitchen Cafe, who got it from Cook's Country
Visit Mel's to see how to turn that diy cake mix into a cake!

Print this recipe!

2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups cake flour
1/2 cup non fat dry milk powder
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter (cut into 1/2-inch cubes, cold)
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract

Directions:

1. In the bowl of a food processor, combine the sugar, both flours, milk powder, baking powder and salt. Process for 15 seconds. Add the pieces of butter and lightly toss with a fork so they are coated with the flour mixture. Sprinkle the vanilla over the top. Pulse until the mixture is fine and crumbly, about 10 one-second pulses. Use immediately or store in an airtight bag or container in the freezer for up to 2 months.

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of using this cake mix for other applications (instead of just a cake). Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete