Monday, March 26, 2012

Blueberry-Lemon Scones

It's official! I want to scream it from the rooftops! I LOVE Scones! (insert emoticon here). When I was baking up the strawberry-orange scones I had some leftover blueberries in the fridge. They were at that point- one day they are just fine, the next sad wrinkly blue messes. I had to rescue them and turn them into something fantastic. Having just whipped up a batch of the strawberry-orange scones. I decided why not one more batch? My counter was already floured up. My bowl already covered in doughy bits. What is one more hour in the kitchen? Pure heaven in my book.

I used the same recipe that I used for the strawberry-orange scones. I substituted in the soon to be sad blueberries if not rescued upon that very Sunday.  I finished these off with a fresh lemon glaze and called it a fantastic Sunday morning.

I hope these two recent scone recipes have given you a little bit of inspiration to create your own fabulous scones.  Stay tuned..I plan to whip up another batch using my favorite scone recipe later in the week with one of my favorite additions to life, love and baking- chocolate!

Blueberry-Lemon Scones

Makes 8 scones
1½ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup cake flour (not self-rising)
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
2½ teaspoons baking powder
¾ teaspoon salt
4 ounces (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 cup (½ pint) blueberries
½ cup buttermilk (I chose to make my own by adding 1/2 Tbs. of lemon juice to milk)
1 large egg
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
2. Whisk together flours, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or rub in with your fingers, until the mixture has the texture of coarse meal. Fold in blueberries. Include the zest of 1 lemon.
3. Whisk together buttermilk, 1 egg, and the vanilla. Drizzle over flour mixture, and stir lightly with a fork until dough comes together but a small amount of flour remains in the bowl.
4. Turn out dough onto a work surface, and gently knead dough once or twice just to incorporate flour. Pat dough into a 1-inch thick round. Cut into 12 (again I always manage to get only 8) wedges. Transfer to prepared baking sheet.  Bake until golden brown and cooked through, about 22 minutes. Transfer scones to wire rack to cool.
5.  Once cooled, drizzle with orange icing if desired.I tend to use a lot, but well I like icing- add as little or as much as you want! If you do not prefer icing, you could always make an egg wash and brush on the scones  before baking and sprinkle some sanding sugar on top.
Serving & storing: The scones are best served immediately, but can be frozen for up to 1 month. Thaw, and reheat in a 350-degree oven for 10 minutes.
Lemon Icing
1/2 cup, confectioner's sugar
zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 1/2 lemon (to taste)

1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.
2. Once scones are cooled, drizzle on top

No comments:

Post a Comment