Thursday, March 29, 2012

Diner Brownies

There are two types of people in this world...those who like fudgy brownies and those who like cakey brownies. What about those who don't like brownies, you ask? I don't believe they actually exist. At least I have not met them anyway.  I come from the "fudgy brownie" camp. It is perhaps that reason I am not the biggest fan of this recipe.  This is a cakey brownie topped with a luscious and simple chocolate frosting. If I want cake, I'll make a cake. If I want a brownie, I want a BROWNIE. Fudgy, dense, rich. It is after as legend has it the brownie's origin is that a housewife while making a cake forgot to add the baking powder and voila! the brownie was born!  So to me, this recipe just doesn't cut it when I am craving a brownie due to its more cake-like texture.

But you knew it was a cakey brownie recipe when you started, you cry!

Yes, yes I know. Oh well perhaps all you cakey brownie fans will enjoy this recipe. I know my co-workers still did despite my warnings (I don't know how good it is! I won't be offended if you throw it out!)

**P.s  Although I was at first not a fan, it did not stop me from devouring one as soon as they came out the oven and one more this morning for breakfast. (and  packed one away for lunch). Ok--by lunchtime I was a fan. Who am I kidding? It was chocolate covered chocolate.

Diner Brownies
From Food Network

Ingredients:
1 3/4 flour
3 Tbs. cocoa powder
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp baking powder
2 sticks Butter
2 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 cup water
6 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
5 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla

1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Coat a 9-by-13 inch pan with cooking spray.  (For easy removal, line with foil).
2. Whisk the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder in a bowl. Set aside.
3.. In a large saucepan bring the butter, brown sugar, and water to a simmer.
4. Remove the saucepan from the heat and whisk in the chopped chocolate. Cool slightly.
5. Whisk in the eggs, one at a time.
6. Stir in the flour mixture.
7. Spread in a pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
8. Once cooled, top with chocolate frosting.

Chocolate Frosting

Ingredients:
4 oz butter, softened
1 1/4 cups confectioner's sugar
3 Tbs. cocoa powder
2 Tbs. milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Beat butter, sugar, cocoa powder, milk and vanilla until a creamy consistency is reached.

No comments:

Post a Comment