Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Herb Roasted Potatoes

For some reason when someone asks, "bring a side dish" my mind goes blank. It's the day of the big test I studied all day then the test arrives and my mind goes BLANK. You know that feeling.  For some reason I feel in my baking/cooking bag of tricks, I am low on arsenal in the side dish department.  Thank goodness for google! I turned to a trusted website, Williams-Sonoma for some ideas.

I found this recipe for roasted new potatoes. Now my grocery store didn't have new potatoes, but they did have these "little potatoes" from the aptly named, Little Potato Company. How cute? And in red, white, and blue colors! I'm going to have remember these little guys when it comes to the Fourth of July. What a fun potato salad these would make, don't you think?

Anyway I'm getting sidetracked! This recipe was quick and simple and delicious with the use of fresh herbs. Fresh herbs can get expensive but I was able to find a "savory bouquet" which had rosemary, thyme, and sage in the container. A whole lot cheaper but plenty of wonderful herbs as oppossed to buying a package of each of rosemary and thyme as the recipe called for.

I halved this recipe, since it was only 4 1/2 for dinner. And we still had extra! I spread them out on a cookie sheet, because I love letting every little potato get its time in the sun..err stove.  This side dish was truly simple and in the words of Ina Garten, "How easy was that?"

Herb-Roasted Potatoes

Ingredients:

  • 4 lb. red new potatoes, quartered (or whatever small potatoes are lurking in your produce aisle that day!)
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 Tbs. chopped fresh rosemary
  • 1 Tbs. chopped fresh thyme
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

Directions:

Preheat an oven to 400°F.

In a bowl, combine the potatoes, olive oil, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper and stir to coat the potatoes evenly. Transfer to a buffet pan and roast until the potatoes are tender, golden brown and crisp, about 1 hour. Serve immediately.
Serves 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment