Monday, April 2, 2012

d.i.y. iced coffee

There is something you should know about me. I am not a morning person. Nor am I person who enjoys spending a few dollars each morning on an iced coffee. But because of the former statement, more often I am forced into that latter statement. I do my best to make my coffee each morning, but I am truly an iced coffee fan and making hot coffee each morning (although budget-friendly) not exactly hits my craving. Alas, a solution to my dilemma! This recipe for iced coffee could not be more simple and postively (seriously, try this you won't believe it until its true) the best iced coffee I have had in a very long time. Pure, unadultered iced coffee (ok well with just a splash of cold milk)- but seriously thats it. Skip the cream! Put down the sugar! Hold the syrups! No whip for me please! It is truly that good- this d.i.y iced coffee hits the spot.

This iced coffee recipe is not about putting a bunch of ice cubes in a glass to chill off already brewed iced coffee. Yuck. Have you ever actually done this? It just results in a watered down coffee/water mess. Nor is it about letting coffee sit in your fridge already brewed and cool down on its own. Sure thats a better alternative.

This is about steeping the coffee grounds in water overnight (ok that is the only bummer-having to wait) and letting the true coffee flavor come out.  You fancy coffee people call it "cold-brewed".

Then after 8 hours or overnight, simply strain the coffee (twice is recommended), add ice, enjoy. This method seems to strip away some of coffee's bitterness resulting in one smooth iced coffee.


How you enjoy it is up to you. My method? I use it to wash down one of my dark chocolate-cherry almond scones. Yum.


d.i.y. Iced Coffee
From Smitten Kitchen (originally posted in The New York Times)

Yield: Two drinks

1/3 cup ground coffee (medium-coarse grind is best)
Milk (optional)

1. In a jar, stir together coffee and 1 1/2 cups water. Cover and let rest at room temperature overnight or 12 hours.
2. Strain twice through a coffee filter, a fine-mesh sieve or a sieve lined with cheesecloth. In a tall glass filled with ice, mix equal parts coffee concentrate and water, or to taste. If desired, add milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment