Thursday, May 17, 2012

Buttermilk Baked Doughnuts


Don't feel guilty when you look at these photos. Don't pick up your running sneakers just thinking of making these. Believe it or not- these little guys- these sticky, delicious guys are healthy. No, really I promise! Now don't right them off if you are one of those either just because I said the H word. These doughnuts are delicious, guilt-free, and simple (so simple I wonder why I haven't made doughnuts at home before!)  Seriously I was done and outta of the kitchen in less than 20 minutes. How did this doughnut adventure begin you ask on an assuming Tuesday rainy New England afternoon? I had been looking to make something to use up some buttermilk in my fridge. When I was wondering around Target putting too many things in my cart (why is it always this way when you go to Target?) I stumbled upon this.



I had been wanting to get one for awhile. And lo and behold on the back of the pan was a recipe for Buttermilk baked doughnuts. Fate? I think so. And you don't say no to fate. You pick it up, put it in your basket, and immediately head to the register. And I did just that. I honestly was tempted to buy two, but this was the last one. Fate was screaming my name that day.


Now as shorts and cute dress season vastly approaches, making doughnuts on a random Tuesday seemed (albeit the baking gods clearly wanted me to) still a tad wrong. I decided to try making these doughnuts a little healthier. With buttermilk, whole wheat flour, and honey these doughnuts are only around 130 calories. Oh now I have your attention. Yes- 130 calories. I topped them with a simple powdered sugar icing. Next time? I'm thinking nutella ganache. Ok those might need to wait until after summer is over and the shorts have been put away.  For now, it seems you can have your cake, doughnut and eat it too.



Buttermilk Baked Doughnuts
Originally from Health.com

Please note:  These are made with whole wheat flour so they are little more dense then if you make them with just regular flour. The original recipe on the back of the baking pan called for 2 cups of cake flour so if wheat flour isn't your thing or you don't have it on hand try it with cake flour instead. If you don't have cake flour on hand, try make it yourself. Read this article to learn how,  it's so easy and comes out great.

Also, these little guys aren't terribly sweet either. If you want SWEET, use all sugar instead of honey. I also double dipped my doughnuts in the glaze, which I think added the right amount of sweetness these doughnuts needed. Sure a few extra calories, but who's counting?


Ingredients

  • Nonstick cooking spray
  • 1 cup whole-wheat flour
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cupsugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoonsbaking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoonground nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk (1%)
  • large eggs
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2 tablespoons melted butter
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 425°. Lightly coat a doughnut pan with cooking spray.
2. Combine flours and next 4 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk.
3. Combine buttermilk, eggs, honey, butter, and vanilla, stirring well with a whisk. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture; whisk just until combined.
4. Spoon batter into doughnut pans, filling two-thirds full. Bake in middle of oven until doughnuts spring back when touched and are golden on bottom (about 8 minutes). Let cool in pan slightly (about 4 minutes); turn out. Coat with toppings (see ideas, below), if desired.




Powdered Sugar Icing


2 cups powdered sugar
Whipping cream (I used low-fat milk to cut down on the calories! Use whatever you like)
For powdered sugar glaze:
Whisk powdered sugar and 4 tablespoons whipping cream to blend. Whisk in additional cream, 1 teaspoon at a time, to form medium thick glaze. Can be made up to 3 hours ahead. Dip doughnuts in glaze on one side. Repeat one more time if you would like! Arrange doughnuts, glazed side up, on racks. Let stand until glaze sets.



2 comments:

  1. Hi there. I found you through Clover Lane's comment on the header! Just so you know! I really like your blog. I bought one of these pans and have never used it. I look forward to trying your way. Thank you so much and I look forward also to reading your blog! My name is Alia. I am an American living in the Middle East. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you have enjoyed my blog. It's a fairly new project for me but has been really fun thus far. Hope the doughnuts come out wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete