Sunday, May 20, 2012

Strawberry Buttermilk Muffins



Leftover buttermilk. What to do? You make these. Strawberry buttermilk muffins with a streusel topping. And you don't look back.  I actually had a container of strawberries in my fridge already so it was a perfect pairing. I found the recipe on bakespace. A great site if you haven't checked it out, you should. It's all about sharing the love of food and recipes.



The fresh strawberries in this recipe were key. The slight tartness with the brown sugar crunchy top had me very guiltily going back for seconds, thirds, ok I don't even want to admit how many I ate yesterday.


The key to any muffin is is NOT to over mix. I always found that frustrating when a recipe says not to over mix. How do you know though?!  I use a spatula when I add my wet ingredients into my dry and just fold them in gently, no more than 10-12 stirs . I still remembering watching an episode of Alton Brown's, Good Eats on Muffins. If you haven't made muffins, or have not had much success in the past I suggest you watch this episode. He goes over in great detail on why you shouldn't over mix and how not to over mix your muffins (he suggests you stir for 10 seconds and then fold in your berries). This recipe has you folding in the berries before you add the wet ingredients, so a 10-second folding should suffice. 


After you have stirred the appropriate time, go ahead fill your muffin tin and sprinkle (generously, please) with your streusel topping. Don't be stingy here on that topping! These muffins definitely are the best when eaten the day of baking. But hey, I had one for breakfast just now and they still were pretty OK in my book. 

Strawberry Buttermilk Muffins
Originally from bakespace.com

Cooking time: 20 minutes
Servings: 12 large muffins, 24 regular

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3/4 cup buttermilk
2/3 cup canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups chopped strawberries

Streusel Topping:

1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 all purpose flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbs. butter, softened

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Butter muffin tins.
3. Whisk together egg, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla.
4. In another bowl, combine flour, sugar baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
5. Gently fold in berries.
6. Fold wet ingredients into dry.
7. Fill each muffin cup to the top.
8. In a small bowl, combine the streusel ingredients.
9. Blend until mixture is crumbly.
10. Sprinkle over tops of muffins
11. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the edges of the muffins are golden brown.



No comments:

Post a Comment