Sunday, May 13, 2012

Simple Tomato Sauce


I am seriously getting into this whole "d.i.y." thing. You know, do it yourself. It is so much healthier and cheaper, and ok for foodie dorks like myself- fun!  Apparently though, I am a little behind the 8 ball on this recipe. I found it on Annie's Eats, who found it on Smitten Kitchen, who found it on...well the point is...it's been out in the food blog word for awhile. And with three ingredients and one pot needed you can understand why.

This recipe truly is simple and delicious. And I took other's advice to NOT mess with it. Stick to the recipe. Which I admit- I, at first glance, thought..but no garlic?! No basil?! How can this be? Perhaps I will add some. The suggestions that everyone made was do not be tempted to change this recipe. *Sigh*. I surrender. 3 ingredients and one pot. Got it.

Turns out..simple is better. And with only three ingredients, very friendly on the wallet, too. I decided to put the sauce over my spinach stuffed shells. (recipe to come) And for some reason my camera did not save the photo, so I apologize but this is the photo from myrecipes.com.


Simple Tomato Sauce

Note: I used a vidalia onion. They are in season and therefore, a little cheaper. And I adore vidalia onions, with the added sweetness they add.

1 onion, skin removed and halved
5 tbs. butter
1 28 oz. whole plum tomatoes

Combine the tomatoes, onion, and butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.  Bring the mixture to a simmer, then reduce the heat to keep the sauce at a low, steady simmer for 45 minutes.  Stir occasionally, crushing the tomatoes against the side of the pot with a wooden spoon.  Remove from the heat, discard the onion, and add salt to taste.  (I didn’t add any salt.)  Serve warm with pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment