Saturday, May 19, 2012

Cinnamon Chip Scones

I hope you are not thinking, *sigh* another scone recipe. It's funny, you know I did not grow up on scones. Probably I only ever heard of scones in a movie or in some book somewhere (if that). I may even possibly never even heard of them until I was in at least my 20's.   Perhaps that is my obsession with them, not having grown up with them. Perhaps it is that they are so easy to make. Perhaps it is well..they are delicious. Perhaps..oh who cares why I love them I just do. I love scones.

When I finally do remembering hearing about scones, I always remember hearing the word, DRY, with them. How sad for scones! And so false! If you haven't ever tried making scones for the same reasons I always had, because they just didn't sound appealing I suggest you give them a try. They do not require a mixer, just your mixing arm, a bowl, a whisk, spatula, and pastry cutter. To make the batter, it is as simple as putting together your dry ingredients, cutting your butter into the bowl, and then adding your other ingredients. From there, you turn your dough onto your counter pat into a circle and cut into wedges. And they are ready for your oven!


For these scones, I had these bag of Hershey's cinnamon chips in my pantry, cupboard, ok fine..a drawer. A small kitchen what can I say? They had been there for at least a month waiting for inspiration when I stumbled upon this recipe on Brown Eyed Baker. She seems to have also quite the love of scones. Smart girl. It was perfect! I could use my cinnamon chips in scones! It was a very aha! duh! moment. 

And true to form..these scones did not last long. 




Cinnamon Chip Scones
From Brown Eyed Baker, originally from Two Peas and Their Pod
Yield: 8 scones
Prep Time: 15 minutes | Bake Time: 15 minutes
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into ¼-inch cubes
½ cup cinnamon chips
1 cup heavy cream
For the Cinnamon-Sugar Topping:
1 tablespoon heavy cream
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Cut in the butter, using your fingers, two knives, or a pastry blender. Mix until mixture resembles coarse meal, with mostly pea-size lumps of butter. Stir in the cinnamon chips. Pour heavy cream over the ingredients and stir with a spatula until dough begins to form. Don’t over mix.
3. Transfer dough to a floured countertop and knead dough by hand just until it forms a ball. Form scones by patting the dough into a ¾-inch thick circle. Cut the scones into triangles or use a biscuit cutter for round scones.
4. Place scones on prepared baking sheet. In a small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon. Using a pastry brush, lightly the scones with heavy cream. Sprinkle scones with cinnamon/sugar mixture. Bake scones for 12 to 15 minutes, or until light brown. Cool scones on a wire cooling rack and serve. Store leftover scones in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.


No comments:

Post a Comment