Thursday, May 31, 2012

cake batter truffles


I hope this post brings back happy memories of sprinklers, flip-flops, freeze tag, and other care free summer moments. Memorial Day has come and gone marking the beginning of summer in my book. And this truffle to me is a little package of happy summer moments.  Even as an adult, I still love a funfetti cupcake above all others. Why is that? What is it about adding sprinkles to a vanilla cupcake that puts a smile on my face. Now I suppose I enjoyed a funfetti cupcake more than just in the summer moments, but for some reason it just screams back yard barbeque and pool parties. 




This is a little twist on the funfetti cupcake- cake batter truffles. You can definitely use whatever vanilla cupcake and vanilla buttercream you would like to make these truffles. I chose a recent recipe I posted earlier about. Why? Well, yes those cupcakes were phenomenal. But like the red velvet cupcakes that recently turned into cheesecake truffles, I had leftover vanilla cupcakes in the freezer that succumbed to the same cake truffle fate. Not a bad way to go if you ask me. Roll me in sprinkles and dip me in white chocolate. You won't hear any complaints for me. 


Happy Beginning of Summer everyone. 

Vanilla Cupcakes
Adapted from Annie's Eats



For this recipe I had about a dozen leftover cupcakes. I also used about a half portion of the frosting. I added 1-2 Tbs. of sprinkles. This is one of those "eyeball" recipes. I added enough frosting so the cake crumbs came together, and enough sprinkle to satisfy my soul. 
Please note: the original recipe called for vanilla bean. I, having none on hand  (Let's face it vanilla beans are't cheap!) I simply doubled the vanilla extract to 2 tablespoons. If you choose to use the bean (and I only imagine it can enhance an already great cupcake) scrape the vanilla bean seeds into the bowl of the mixer with the butter and discard the pod (or reserve for another use.)  

Ingredients:
3 cups cake flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
16 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups sugar
5 large eggs, at room temperature
1¼ cups buttermilk, at room temperature
2 tbsp. vanilla extract
Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F.  Line two cupcake pans with paper liners.  Set aside.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the cake flour, baking powder and salt.  Whisk together and set aside. 
3.Add the butter to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.  Beat on medium-high speed for 3 minutes, until light and creamy in color.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat for one more minute.
4.Add the sugar to the butter mixture, ¼ cup at a time, beating 1 minute after each addition.  Mix in the eggs one at a time until incorporated.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl after each addition.  Combine the buttermilk and the vanilla extract in a liquid measuring cup.  With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients alternately with the wet ingredients, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients and mixing just until incorporated.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix for 15 seconds longer.
5.Divide the batter between the prepared paper liners, filling each about 2/3 of the way full (you will likely have batter left over after filling 24 wells.I managed to make a full 3 dozen cupcakes)  Bake 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Allow to cool in the pans 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.  Replace paper liners and bake remaining batter if desired.  Frost cooled cupcakes as desired.
Yield: approximately 30 cupcakes (like I said I got 36 cupcakes!)



Easy Vanilla ButtercreamIngredients:20 tbsp. (2 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened2 ½ cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted1/8 tsp. salt2 tsp. vanilla extract2 tbsp. heavy cream  Directions:In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat butter at medium-high speed until smooth, about 20 seconds.  Add confectioners’ sugar and salt; beat at medium-low speed until most of the sugar is moistened, about 45 seconds.  Scrape down the bowl and beat at medium speed until mixture is fully combined, about 15 seconds.  Scrape bowl, add vanilla and heavy cream, and beat at medium speed until incorporated, about 10 seconds.  Then increase the speed to medium-high and beat until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes, scraping down bowl once or twice.  



No comments:

Post a Comment